A very short EP but very accessible music from Deems Taylor.
DEEMS TAYLOR: Three Century Suite [TrackList Follows] – Moravian Philharmonic Orch./ Petr Vronsky – Navona NV6066. 15:39 [6/21/16] ••••:
This is the 50th anniversary of the passing of Deems Taylor, who was the narrator in Disney’s original Fantasia, and composed the delightful Thru the Looking Glass on Alice in Wonderland (one of my personal favorite works…Ed.). The Three Century Suite had only one previous performance, at Interlochen in 1960, so it is more than welcome to have this recording at this time. You can see and hear each of the five movements on You Tube, because evidently the music went with historical video images on screen.
The “Bartholomew Fair” closing movement is a celebration of sheer joy. It is in waltz time and has a lovely melody for strings and winds. The Moravian Philarharmonic does a fine job playing this short score. Sound is excellent – a recording made just this year.
1. Pavan – Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra / Petr Vronsky 4:19
2. Saraband – Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra / Petr Vronsky 2:33.
3. Jig – Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra / Petr Vronsky 2:36
4. Ragadoon – Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra / Petr Vronsky 2:14
5. Batholowmew Fair – Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra / Petr Vronsky 3:58
Copyright © 2016 Audiophile Audition
on this article to AUDIOPHILE AUDITION!
Email this page to a friend.