Los Angeles Guitar Quartet – New Renaissance (TrackList follows) – LAGQ Records LAGQ 0315, 58:38 [3/17/15] ****:
The LA Guitar Quartet has delved into the Renaissance era before, as in their previous album: Air & Ground, which had a William Kanengiser work of that title. The first piece they ever performed publicly was a suite of dances of Praetorius, and their first major-label recording used several of their favorite Renaissance pieces.
In this CD they revisit their enthusiasm for 16th and 17th century music, informed with modern sensibilities they have picked up along the way. It’s sort of a new look at Renaissance music. The opening and longest work on the CD is again by member William Kanengiser: Music from the Time of Cervantes. The short work Three French Chansons, which closes out the album, is by member Scott Tennant. There is also a lengthy work by Ian Krouse based on a lute piece by Dowland, The Frog Galliard.
2. Romance de Abindarraéz y Jarifa
3. Diferéncias Sobre Guárdame Las Vacas
5. Romance de Calaynos/ Romance de Alburquerque
6. El Villano
7. La Tricotea Samartín
8. Al Villano se la Dan
9. Viva, Viva, Rey Ferrando
10. Tres Morillas m’Enamorán en Jaen
12. Diferéncias Sobre Las Folias
13. Fantasia Que Contrahaze la Harpa en la Manera de Ludovico
14. Chacona “La Vida Bona”
15. Con Pavor Recordó el Moro
16. Oy Comamos y Bebamos
17. Six Ricercars: I. Moderato deciso
18. Six Ricercars: II. Moderato
19. Six Ricercars: III. Allegro
20. Six Ricercars: IV. Amoroso
21. Six Ricercars: V. Moderato scherzoso
22. Six Ricercars: VI. Allegro
23. Mon Pere si sa Marie
24. Music in Four Sharps (on Dowland’s Frog Galliard)
25. Je ne l’ose dire
26. Adieu mes Amours
27. Il est bel et bon
Copyright © 2015 Audiophile Audition
on this article to AUDIOPHILE AUDITION!
Email this page to a friend.